Tracking with demand for sustainable building products, recent research shows the use of metal roofs for homes is on the rise. With all the benefits, we’re not surprised.
Builderonline.com recently reported that the use of metals roofs for homes has grown tremendously over the last several years. In 1998, metal roofs accounted for just 3.7% of the residential market. Back then, metal roofs were much more common on commercial and agricultural structures. A new study by Dodge Data & Analytics, however, shows metal roofing now has a 14% share of the residential market. The report shows total demand for metal roofing increased from 17.7 million squares to 19.4 million squares between 2015 and 2016. Today, metal roofing is second only to asphalt shingle roofing in the remodeling market.
The article lists key findings of the study as
- The metal roofing market share in the remodeling market has increased in six of the nine Census regions, with gains ranging between 2 to 9 points. The Pacific, East South Central and Mid Atlantic regions show advances in metal roofing greater than 6 points.
- The region with the largest market share is the East South Central region (Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, Tennessee) with 30% of homes being re-roofed with metal.
- In the New England region (Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont and New England) data reveals that metal roofing increased 3 points to 12% market share.
- The East North Central region (Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin), data shows metal roofing increasing 4 points to 13% market share.
- Asphalt had a 64% market share in 2015 and it is now just 59% in 2016.
- Twenty-nine percent of homeowners reported that they selected metal roofing because it was attractive, while 20% reported metal roofing to be a good investment that added value to their homes. Longevity (18%) and strength and protection (17%) were also attributes cited for choosing metal.
- Standing seam metal roofing is most popular in the East South Central (Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, Tennessee) at 96%. In the Pacific region (California, Oregon, Washington), and the Mountain region (Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming), shingle shake tile is the most popular metal roof choice for homes.
For more information, or to see the full article, visit BuilderOnline.com.